Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Best Laid Plans


Don’t you just love it when you have everything planned out then something happens to throw a monkey wrench in the works?  I had originally planned to pick up my library books this evening, peruse the books tonight and make any additions to my shopping list for tomorrow morning.  As it turns out my husband has to work extra this weekend so we had to get our grocery shopping done tonight.  (Insert sad face here.)

My husband was able to stop by the library on the way home tonight and pick up my holds.  Even if I did not get a chance to peruse them, at least they are now in my possession.  Fortunately, I have done a lot of research on WWII recipes online and I was already prepared to get my shopping done.

As expected, there was a number of items on my list that were only available in larger quantities or that were significantly cheaper in larger quantities.  While WWII rationing would not have allowed an individual to purchase certain items in larger quantities, at least part of my reason for trying this experiment is to try to save money while cooking real food.  Therefore, I will be taking some time tomorrow to portion out my weekly rations in the specific amounts that I mentioned the other day. Anything extra will either be frozen or tucked away in a separate area of my cupboard.

I am so excited for the book that I ordered from Amazon to arrive.  It is a British book so since I will be following a British ration system, it may be a bit easier to prepare foods using those recipes than with American recipes from the same era.  Only time will tell.  The books that I checked out are both American wartime cookbooks and I can say that they really look like wonderful references!  I have not had a chance to read through them in detail but some of the recipes I saw while flipping through looked delicious.  I am definitely going to be copying down a lot of recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment