Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Random Bits


Who am I to undertake this project?  In all honesty, no one special.  This experiment is something anyone could do.  Though this is something that has been rolling around in my head for a very long time, I am not the first person to try cooking strictly according to war rations.  All you have to do is Google “ration diet” or “1940s diet” and you will find that there are people who have done something very similar to what I am doing.  Every single day, more people are realizing that there is a problem with the way we eat and the way we waste food.  My theory is that we can fix a lot of problems with the over-consumption, waste and quality of our food by looking to the past and ignoring today’s fads.

Since the clock is ticking down and I only have today and tomorrow until I go strictly on rations, I thought I would share a little random information about myself with anyone who is interested in following my journey.  I am just a regular person and I want that to be known in the beginning.

  1. I am not a professional chef.
  2. I am not a WWII aficionado.
  3. I like to cook but I hate to do the dishes.
  4. I am obsessed with British television and books.
  5. My husband and I do not have cable or satellite television.  (We have rabbit ears on top of our television!)
  6. I like to read – a lot.
  7. I have over 80 books in my “to read” stack and countless more on my “to read” list.
  8. I prefer to buy used books.
  9. I am addicted to cookbooks and have way more than the average person.
  10. My lineage is French, German, Irish and Welsh.
  11. One of my favorite hobbies is knitting.
  12. I also like to write – even if no one ever reads it.
  13. I have no children of my own.
  14. I have two adult stepdaughters, one of which thinks I am far more evil than any wicked stepmother in a Disney movie.
  15. My dad died when I was 23.
  16. I have not seen my mother in 4 years or any of my siblings in at least 5 years.
  17. I hate shopping.
  18. I have two dogs. Both of whom sleep in bed with my husband and I.
  19. I regularly talk to my dogs and sing them songs.
  20. I cannot carry a tune but it never stops me from singing loud and proud.
  21. I try to force myself to be a day person but left to my own device, I always revert to a nocturnal schedule.
  22. I like infomercials.
  23. I have multiple tattoos and I am always ready to get another one.
  24. I studied English Literature and Parks & Recreation in college.
  25. I also hold a cosmetology license in the state of Washington.
  26. I am very shy to begin with but once you get to know me, you cannot shut me up.
  27. I have a very warped sense of humor.
  28. I love movies and television from the 40s, 50s and 60s.
  29. I have a permanent care of wanderlust.
  30. I think I have the best husband in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment