Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Preparation

I have been trying to do as much research as I can in a very short amount of time in preparation for my little experiment.  Since the library books I placed a hold on are not in yet, that means my research is focused 100% on the internet.  For the most part, it is not a bad thing.  There is a lot of information out there these days and, for someone who wants it, it is easy enough to find vintage recipes from the 1940s. 

The house where my husband and I currently reside has the world’s smallest kitchen.  No kidding.  I am sure that when the house was built, there was no such thing as many of the modern day kitchen appliances.  Even still, there is very little counter space.  The size of my kitchen is a good part of the reason we have taken up the habit of take-out and dining out so often.  Once I put a microwave, my husband’s coffee maker and a dish drying rack on my counter, I am literally left with less than one square foot of counter space to work on.  If we leave the toaster on the counter, I am left with no counter space at all.  There is very little I can do about it since there is no room to add counters or an island.  I just have to make do with what I have.

My kitchen also lacks cupboard space.  In fact, the entirety of my pantry is three and a half shelves, spread between two cupboards.  I have two shelves for dry, canned and prepackaged goods, a half shelf full of teas and drink mixes and one shelf for baking items such as sugar, flour and oils.  My plan tomorrow is to clean out those cupboards and take inventory of what I have to work with on my project.  Who knows what might be lurking in the back of one of those cupboards?  I will admit that I have not cleaned or organized my cupboards since moving to this house three years ago.  For all I know, a small family of gnomes may have moved into the back of one of them and is living quite comfortably back there at this very moment.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment