Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Groceries

I just wanted to share a few pictures of the groceries I picked up the other day.  Certainly, a housewife in the 1940s would not have picked up everything I did in one go.  Since I had very little in my cupboards after cleaning them out the other day, I had pretty much nothing left.  I went with 8 ounces of hamburger, 8 ounces of stew beef, 4 ounces of bacon, 1 tin of Spam and 1 pound dried red kidney beans for protein as well as my one egg and 2 ounces of cheese.  My fruits and veggies (which I did not photograph all of) included a ten pound bag of potatoes, two onions, two parsnips, one turnip, one bag of carrots, one small box of mushrooms, two heads of garlic, one bunch of spinach and one bunch of red leaf lettuce.  Other grocery items included Bisto granules, marmite, strawberry preserves, whole wheat flour, raisins, 2 ounces of butter, 4 ounces of margarine, and a small container of vegetable shortening.  Rations allowed for 12 ounces of sweets each month but I did not pick any up since I generally do not like sweets.


No comments:

Post a Comment