Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Friday, February 6, 2015

It's All About the Meat


Somewhere in the neighborhood of midnight last night, I finally found myself feeling well enough to get off my duff and cook something.  I did not follow a special recipe.  I simply threw the stew meat I purchased for this week in a frying pan with my remaining mushrooms and browned them up with a bit of garlic.  I tossed a small amount of it on the top of a salad of red leaf lettuce and it tasted so good.

During the day today, I had another salad and topped it with a portion of the sausage roll which I had warmed up in the pan.  For dinner, I had a large baked potato with a tablespoon of margarine and piece of toast with one half table spoon of butter.  Later in the evening, I had a portion of oatmeal made with water and sweetened with raisins.

It is that special time of week again when I plan to go grocery shopping.  My list for this week is significantly smaller than last week.  As much as I hate to admit it, Spam is definitely on the list again.  I portioned it out a little at a time and it helped to stretch my meat ration for the week.  While it is not the healthiest food on my list, I have to believe that consuming it in small portions combined with fresh vegetables isn’t nearly so bad as living on frozen meals and take-out.

I saved my bacon ration for this week so I can combine it with the bacon ration for next week and use it to make a nice big pot of baked beans.  I don’t think I have ever had homemade baked beans so I hope they taste good.  I would hate to think that I have wasted two weeks of bacon rations on something that does not taste good!  There are several WWII era recipes for baked beans that are in the running.  The winning recipe will be posted here.

What is your favorite meat saving recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment