Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day 7 - One Week Down!


I know that in a previous post, I said that I did not purchase any candy because I normally do not eat any sweets.  Sometime mid-week, I did pick up a small bag of Lancaster Caramels.  While I have not come anywhere near consuming my weekly ration of sweets, I do find that it is a nice little treat once in a while. 

I wanted to recap my weekly rations.  There were two positive points in that arena:  (1) I did not go over on any of my rations for the week and (2) I also did not consume everything I was allotted so I have leftovers to put toward future use.

Item
1945 Ration Amount
Used
Remaining
Bacon or Ham
4 oz
0 oz
4 oz
Sugar
8 oz
0 oz
8 oz
Loose Tea
2 oz
0 oz
2 oz
Meat
1 lb 3 oz
1 lb
3 oz
Cheese
2 oz
.25 oz
1.75 oz
Preserves*
4 oz
2 oz
2 oz
Butter
2 oz
1 oz
1 oz
Margarine
4 oz
4 oz
0 oz
Lard
2 oz
0 oz
2 oz
Sweets*
3 oz
.25 oz
2.75 oz
Shell Egg
1
0
1

*In 1945 Preserves were rationed at an amount of 1 lb per month and sweet were rationed at an amount of 12 oz per month.  I took those amounts and divided by 4 to get my weekly ration amount.

In addition, 24 points were allotted every four weeks for tinned and dried food.  From what I have read, because Spam was not widely known in the UK in the 1940s, it went for about half the rate of other canned meats.  I have seen it listed as both 6 and 8 points so I went with the 8 points.  I have also read that dried beans went at a rate of about 2 points per pound.  Last week, I purchased one can of Spam and one 1-lb bag of dried beans so that would come out to about 10 points used for the month with 12 points remaining.

For next week, I used my entire meat ration on chicken.  Since I have been feeling a bit under the weather over the past few days, I have been desperate for some homemade chicken noodle soup.  Honestly, I have no idea if they ate chicken noodle soup in the UK in the 1940s (or if they even do it now).  My grandmother once told me that they had it in their house during the time my father was growing up so that is good enough for me.  A big pot of soup should hold me for the better part of a week. 

In addition to my chicken, I picked up some sausages because I read that they were not rationed in 1945.  It kind of felt like cheating a little bit, though, since I know that the sausages for sale in the latter part of the 1940s was not the quality of sausages sold in stores today.  Meat was incredibly scarce to sausages at that time used A LOT of fillers.  In fact, some people even said that sausages sometimes tasted more like bread than sausage because there was so much filler in them.  For that reason, I am going to limit the amount of sausages I consume and share the remaining portion with my husband.

 

Do you have a favorite food you like to eat when you aren’t feeling well?

No comments:

Post a Comment