Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Monday, March 16, 2015

Bawk, Bawk, Chicken, Chicken, Bawk, Bawk, Dinner!


I you read One Flew Over the Chicken Coop, you already know that I have a small obsession with chicken.  If not, well, go back and read my post from the other day.  At any rate, since we had some darn good grass fed organic beef burgers for dinner the other night and we will be living in the land of corned beef for several days this week, I wanted to slip some chicken in the middle.

Before I realized that St. Patrick’s Day was upon us, I had been planning to make my husband some Saucy Pork Chops as printed in the January 1960 edition of Better Homes & Gardens magazine this week.  Faced with the possibility of a no chicken week, I decided to change that up in a hurry.  I was feeling a bit lazy at the same time and just did not really relish the idea of digging through the cookbooks to find a recipe that my picky eater would eat AND have to make a bunch of changes to my weekly grocery list.  Instead, I decided to simply substitute chicken for the pork chops and make Saucy Chicken instead. 

The ONLY change I made to the recipe this week was the substitution of chicken for pork.  That one move meant not having to sear the pork before baking so it saved me a little bit of time when it came to preparing the recipe.  The recipe was super easy to make and who does not like a little quick and easy when it comes to preparing dinner?

When the time came to eat dinner, my husband raved about it.  The flavor reminded me of something which I could not quite put my finger on - but not in a bad way.  While the Chicken Pie from last week was my favorite so far, I would not turn up my nose at Saucy Chicken if I saw it on the table again.  I served my husband’s Saucy Chicken with creamed spinach and mine with a simple broccoli salad.



Saucy Pork Chops Chicken
Serves 6

Ingredients
·        6 boneless, skinless split chicken breasts
·        1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
·        1 medium onion, sliced
·        3 tbsp ketchup (I use preservative free ketchup)
·        2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
·        Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.   Clean chicken, removing all visible fat.
3.   Place chicken breasts in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4.   Slice onions and spread evenly over top of the chicken.
5.   Combine soup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and mix well.
6.   Spread soup mixture evenly over top of chicken and onions.
7.   Bake at 350°F for 45 – 60 minutes or until chicken cooked completely through.










Comment below with your favorite fast and easy recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment