Meet the "Real" Betty

Meet the "Real" Betty
Betty through the ages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Creamed Spinach

My husband, who detests most vegetables, loves spinach.  Therefore, I am always trying to incorporate it into my cooking.  One of my spinach recipes that he really enjoys is Creamed Spinach

I used to always keep a couple of those frozen bricks of processed creamed spinach in the freezer so I could have a handy side dish available to put on the table.  In recent years, though, I have put a lot of effort into learning about processed convenience foods and I found myself feeling let down by the US food industry.  Therefore, I have made an effort to be more conscious about food choices for my family.  Where I would not have batted an eyelash at popping a frozen brick of spinach in the microwave and putting it on the table a few years ago, today I would rather buy organic produce (or grow my own heritage varieties), make a little effort in the kitchen, and put that on the table instead.  By doing this, I can be better informed about what is going into the food that I feed my family.

My recipe for Creamed Spinach is almost sinful, it is so good.  Sometimes I serve it plain as a side, sometimes I top it with a little extra cheese to dress it up just before putting it on the table and sometimes I incorporate it into another dish.  The Creamed Spinach I made today was to be incorporated into Mother Clucking FetaFlorentine Stuffed Chicken

Creamed Spinach
Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 ¼ pounds fresh spinach
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons olive oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1 heaping tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ¾ teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated


Directions
  1. Chop spinach
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat then add spinach, cover and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until spinach leaves become wilted.  Stir if needed.
  3. Drain spinach in a strainer then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. 
  4. Allow spinach to rest until cool enough to handle then squeeze to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
  5. Mix salt and other dry spices in a small bowl and set aside.
  6. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add shallot and garlic and cook until shallot becomes translucent, stirring often.
  7. Add spice mix and heavy whipping cream and mix well.
  8. Raise heat to medium-high and cook until cream has reduced to about half, stirring occasionally. 
  9. Add lemon zest and stir well.
  10. Reduce heat to low, add spinach and mix well.
  11. Cook for 2 -3 minutes or until spinach is heated through.
  12. Add Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and mix well.
  13. Serve warm.



What is your favorite spinach recipe?  Comment below and let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment